Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best Fried Chicken Ever

I can't remember where I got this recipe but I have changed it so I guess I can claim it as mine.
Recipes are only suggestions anyway, right?
Noah says this is better that KFC.

Best Fried Chicken Ever

Ingredients:
Oil for frying
1-2 1/2 lbs Chicken (our favorite is the legs)
3 Eggs
1/3 Cup Milk
2 Cups Flour
A good shake of Paprika
Another good shake of Cumin
House Seasoning

House Seasoning:
1 Cup Salt
1/4 Cup Black Pepper
1/4 Cup Garlic Powder



Beat together eggs and milk.

In a brown paper lunch bag combine flour, paprika (enough to give it a slight red color to the flour) and cumin. Pinching the top closed and shaking the bag works well.

Season chicken with House Seasoning. The recipe above makes quite a bit. I ran out of Garlic Salt but I kept the shaker it came in. I used what I needed tonight and put the rest in the shaker to save for other uses.



Dip the chicken in the egg and milk mixture.

Toss 2 chicken legs (or whatever chicken part) in the brown bag at a time. Thoroughly coat with flour mixture.

Here is my assembly line. Yes, I did manage to get flour EVERYWHERE.



Heat oil in a large pot. I use a candy thermometer to make sure I get the oil up to a good 350 degrees. Once I get it up to that on about Med-High, I turn it up to High while I get the chicken ready and in the pot. SLOWLY put the chickens in the oil. You may even want to use "pinchers". You don't want to crowd the swimming pool so you may need to fry them in more than one batch. I usually end up frying two batches.



Once I get all the legs in the oil I turn it down to Medium, cover and cook for about 7 minutes.

Uncover, turn over and cook uncovered for about another 7 minutes.

Turn again and cook, turning as necessary until done.

Lay on paper towels on plate and pretend you did not just cook your dinner in a pot of oil.




I also made homemade mashed potatoes. Gravy and green beans. And homemade Apple Crisp for dessert. Not bad.





Not thrilled with the Apple Crisp. It would probably have tasted better if I had remembered the butter. I was probably sub-consciously making up for the chicken in oil and potatoes with LOTS of butter.


Nope...I just plain forgot.








The girls and I did have fun making it and it wasn't actually that bad. Just a bit dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to hear from you and do my best to reply. I am here to have fun so constructive comments only please.